Although it wasn’t totally planned I spent most of the weekend doing something related to weaving (in between cooking, cleaning and loads of laundry). I make the mundane more pleasurable by rewarding myself with loom time. I finished the blue and white and moved onto a green variegated version of the Maltese Cross and discovered something in the process. Being a newby to this craft I didn’t realize what a HUGE difference yarn would make in how the pattern looked. (Apparently I’m paying too much attention to other things while I’m throwing a shuttle). The last two throws I have woven in this pattern I used Bartlettyarn Maine Wool for the weft with a warp of Jaggerspun Maine Line 2/8 wool. I love the feel of the wool when it’s been fulled and finished, it’s a warm, heavy blanket but . . . the crosses in the pattern were more elongated than I had thought they would be. When I started weaving the green version of this I was using Noro Boku, a wool/silk blend. Both of these yarns are worsted weight but one is thicker than the other and the less hefty of the two brought the pattern into what I had expected. Yes, I continue to weave with the variegated yarn even though the judge didn’t like it at the Big E.
Sunday I spent a good part of my afternoon at the weaving studio helping Pam put together a new Harrisville 36″ 8 Shaft, 10 Treadle Loom. The latest addition arrived in two boxes and reminded me of something I might have picked up at IKEA.
This was a great experience. I now feel as if anything that happens to my loom I will be totally prepared to repair. The maple that the loom is made out of is quite beautiful. I also learned why Pam asked me for help – it is virtually impossible to put this together without an extra set of hands. I also think it was an extension of my weaving education.